Office Depot - Extended Warranties are Bull ***

Issue not resolved
Apr 22, 2008
review #118692

May 2006 I bought an HP laptop from Office Depot in Washington, NC.While selecting the computer I needed, I was recommended to purchase the 2 year extended warranty.

The exact words said to me were "If you drop it, run over it with your car or whatever, bring it back in and you will get a brand new computer of equal or more value". So, I bought it it. I've always had exceptional service with Dell on extended warraties so I thought it would be a good insurance policy. Two weeks ago, I trn it on and get a very "vague" picture on the monitor.

I called the warraty service, was sent a box for return and got it back today-unrepaired. I was told there was moisture in the unit and my warranty was void. Now before I sent it, I plugged in an external monitor with great success, backed up my data and sent the unit in. I get it back with the news that it had been water damaged and it won't even come on now.

I've been round and round with Office Depot's customer service and they basically told me to F-Off. They said the mother board had been soaked with coffee or Coke and I had no recourse. How was it that it worked two weekd ago with an external monitor and now it won't come on? The manager at the Office Depot I bought it from (200 miles away) says he will do everything he can to help me but according to Office Depot, I'm ***.

I want to put the word out that OD will NOT stand behind there extended warranties.

b025ed1
Had an experience with Office Depot?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
Honest4Sure

Dec 01, 2012

"5 years for $99" is years 2-5. Does not cover physical damage. "2 years at $199" is years 1&2 damage insurance. Year 1 is mfr warranty for all PCs. The 3rd party service administrator, NEW, defers to the mfr in year 1 except for damage; otherwise they are out of the loop and deflect service issues to the mfr. Why anyone would buy years 1&2 for &199 is beyond rational belief. The "house" wins many times over for ALL extended service contracts. The need for such is a figment of the ignorant consumer's imagination. Save your money. Across ALL products, you come out way ahead in the life of the products.

Marshall

Nov 16, 2012

I have to eat my earlier words. Office Depot just refunded the full purchase price for a computer I bought two years ago. Bought a new one from Costco with their Square Trade warranty. 5 years for $99.00. My OD warranty was $289 for 2 years. Costco is the way to go.

Mildred Freeman

Nov 16, 2012

cry
Very disappointed in Office Depot. Why are they ripping people off with the extended warranty protection program, when they know this company is not honoring it. My husband and I have made many calls to this company trying to get our lemon laptop fixed or replaced to no avail. We paid $199.00 for this worthless protection. Each time we call we are getting excuses and passing the buck. No one is taking ownership to fixing our problem. I will not do business with Office Depot again. :(

Joey

Feb 02, 2013

What is the issue that you are experiencing?

Danna

Aug 13, 2012

My salesperson told me to buy the four year warranty and just before the warranty ended to damage the laptop and it was like a free update. I should have known that when you conspire to deceive, the results would not be good. My computer didn't work from day one. I took it back to the store, they opened up their hands and asked for 160.00 to troubleshoot etc and asked me to buy a monthly program that would allow me to troubleshoot for free. I tried to do that, but they said they wouldn't except my computer even though it was only a week old, because a virus was on it. But they charged me monthly for ten months anyway until American Express was able to sucessfully dispute. I sent the laptop to IBM and they sent me back a refurbished computer and it still didn't work, now it is out of warranty because idiots at customer service don't understand that it seems like it is more than a year old because it is refurbished. Office Depot won't touch it because it was less than a year old. I gave up after a year and stupidly tried what the salesman told me to do. Now the warranty repair is actually repairing a laptop that was smashed by a car. Moral of the story is that salesman will say whatever they can to get more commission and when you do something wrong it will always come back to you in the end. Don't buy from Office Depot the minute you walk out the door they have washed their hands of you.

Joey

Feb 02, 2013

I disagree and you need to speak to the manager of the store. They will help you.

Casey at Office Depot

Apr 03, 2012

Marshall Stephenson -

I'm sorry about the problems you've faced with your Office Depot Protection Plan and I'd like to help. Please contact me at casey.ahlbum@officedepot.com with your warranty details and contact information. I'm confident that our Executive Customer Relations Team can assist you.

Sincerely,

Casey Ahlbum
Manager-Executive Customer Relations
Office Depot, Inc
casey.ahlbum@officedepot.com

Satisfied Customer

Mar 28, 2012

I purchased a computer from Office Depot in Vancouver, WA. I use the computer in bed and it fell off my lap and the screen broke. I took it in and I was told that it would be fixed at no cost to me. I was sent a box to put it in with paid shipping. UPS Picked it up. When it was finished they shipped it back with a new screen. I sent it in for a second time about a week ago. The same results took place. OFFICE DEPOT does stand by their warranty.!!

sharon

Feb 05, 2012

SQUARE TRADE Remember that name for WARRANTIES. purchased a ipod within 3 months stopped working. They sent a check to buy another one. No hesitation no hassle You can find them on line. Doesn't matter where you purchase!

pissed off

Feb 04, 2012

there must be a law out there that will protect customers from the scam office depot is running i was actually online looking to see if i was the only one with the same problem i am seriously welling to take these bastards to court!!!! i bought a laptop and a warranty and they won't honor the warranty because i sent in the original recipet to get my mail in rebate that the cashier gave me specific instruction to do.... my computer's hard drive is ruined and office depot will not help me get a copy of my recipte which was less than 3 month ago!!! not to mention i was to told that the warranty will not replace my computer although i was told the SAME EXACT LINE!!!! ""If you drop it, run over it with your car or whatever, bring it back in and you will get a brand new computer of equal or more value" AND THE STORE MANAGER HAD THE NERVES TO TELL ME THAT THERE IS NOWAY A SALES REP WOULD SAY THAT BECAUSE THEY ARE TRAINED NOT TO DO SO!!!! i really need to sue these bastards because someone needs to put an end to it!!! i don't want money i just want them shut down!!! and i will keep looking until i find enough people!!!!

outtathere

Mar 20, 2013 Highlands Ranch, Colorado

I left OD two years ago in Colorado. Our asst. store manager regularly used that quote ""If you drop it, run over it with your car or whatever, bring it back in and you will get a brand new computer of equal or more value"....

Bee

Nov 14, 2011

At this time I am fighting with hp manufacture warranty to replace my hard disk that failed after 10 months on my desk top hp computer. They will only send me a refurbished hard disk instead of new. I am very upset about this. I think the one I got with my new computer was also a refurbished one.

Glynette

Sep 05, 2011

I recently purchased 2 toshiba laptops from Office Depot, both with the extended 2 year warranties. One was purchased back in April 2011, which I sent in to be repaired for "liquid damage". While this one was being repaired, I purchased the second toshiba. Within 5 days of the purchase, I dropped the new one and busted the screen. I sent it in and it is currently "being repaired". I highly recommend Office Depot's extended warranty program. My warranties cost me approximately $160 and $130, based on the price of each of the computers.

Unhappy customer

Nov 07, 2010

I purchased a two year accidental damage extended warranty from Office Depot for my HP notebook. In the second year the unit would not switch on. On June 6th, we were sent a box to send it off for repair. We received paperwork assuring us we would have our computer returned in 10 days. On Juy 2nd, we chased for the umpteenth time, to be told they had not even looked at our computer. A week later, we were told that they were waiting for quotes to see if it was economical to repair. Weeks passed, and requests for managers to call us went unanswered. They even started hanging up the phone when we called. A better business bureau complaint went unanswered - and a note is now on their record.

Finally, in July we were told the parts were in and it would be repaired. In August when we finally got through to a person again, we were told that they discovered the case was cracked. The case was not cracked when we sent it in! We waited through September before they told us they could not get a replacement case.

We were then told we would get a gift card to OD minus the tax. Our lawyer advised that we were due to at least get the tax back. We involved the local Attorney Generals who are now looking into the case too. Finally we got a check for the cost of the computer minus the tax. Our local store manager took our details and promised to get the district manager to call, but so far no luck their either.

All we wanted was an apology for the
... Show more

joe

Aug 31, 2010

i agree with marshall i bought a laptop this year and i got the best warantty they have that will cover any thing even spells office depot platinum .well mine didnt want turn on so i called them and they told me to send it to acer company since it still under thier warantty so i did 2 weeks latere they send it back saying its not coverd under manufacter warranty so i calld again ,office depot extended warantay ,they send me box and i waited almost 3 weeks b4 calling me to tell me its beyond repair and they will send a gift card ,ok ,my Q why not send me a laptop as it says in there contract . well iam still waiting for it its over 6 weeks now and the funny thin about it ,they sending an office depot gift card minus the taxes i paid .according to law if you you return some to the store with rescipt they will refund the total amount you paid but they want keep the taxes and send me a gift card i can only use at office depot even thuo there is nothing in the price range they refunding me .simplly they could off replace it .schools already started and we need it for that ,next step better bussines B
what happend to coustumer service like the good old days

OD Employee

Jul 18, 2010

@EWeavr

What appears to be the case from what you wrote is an HP problem, not a warranty or Office Depot problem. The protection plan company that Office Depot works with should have repaired it nonetheless, and if they claim to the contrary I advise you call and talk to the supervisor (or his supervisor). Do not *** at us if you fail to follow through the channels.

EWeavr

Jul 05, 2010

:( Well, Well there are other people out there with junk HP Laptops. I purchase a 17" HP Laptop in June 2010 had it for 16 days(by the way the 1st one I took home wouldn't even start up, should have known then) so I purchased the preferred protection plan and was told by the Office Depot Salesman that it covered even accidental dropping or cracking of screen and it was a great warranty. HA!
I was told I must have dropped it, which all I did was simply close the top and answer the phone, came back to blotches all over the screen. The Office Depot Representative for the PPP Plan told me I needed to carry my laptop in bubble wrap....BUBBLE WRAP if I took it anywhere to prevent this from happening again. Due to Office Depots warranty of 14 days; no money back and they sent some poor excuse of a box for me to ship the laptop to the warranty service under plastic. Are they kidding so I packed it with newspaper to ensure safe transport. Well my Credit Card company ruled in my favor and refunded the full amount I paid for the laptop due to the numerous complaints and a class action lawsuit. Plus I found out they were canabilizing old units and making and selling as new units. That's FRAUD FOLKS! After my refund I called the service center on a whim and was told my claim was denied due to abuse. Well there's another misrepresentation of the warranty. Stay out of Office Depot for electronics. No HP for me
... Show more

justthefax

Oct 02, 2009

FYI- bad info, Dell would NOT cover you running over your laptop with a car- look to the future- extended warranties are a good buy under the right circumstances- this is a major purchase for you- ask for written terms and take 5 mins to read those terms, and you will never go wrong. Never accept verbal terms

Michael

Jun 10, 2008 Media, Pennsylvania

What did you really do to this laptop? Come on, be honest. And you should know better than to listen to what's said over what is written :grin

1-20 of 22 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.